Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Please note issues moved to Jira Tav3 project http://dev.mygrid.org.uk/issues/browse/T3

 

Topics from meeting on 2012-06-12

Thanks to all those who attended.

What is Taverna 3? What is it not?

Products:

  • Taverna Server
  • Taverna Workbench
  • Taverna Command Line Tool
  • Demonstrator interface
  • Taverna Platform
  • SCUFL2
  • Server client libraries

Features:

  • Components
  • Iteration visualization (indication in diagram, "what if" + more TBD)
  • SCUFL2 support (reading, writing, running)
  • Research Object support
  • In OSGi
  • Structured data (tables, arrays and beans)
  • Grey box provenance
  • Remote enactment from the Workbench
  • Customization (service sets, plugins)
  • Java Scripting Framework service - subsumes beanshell and perhaps others
  • SPARQL - needs significant work

Starting position - pull Taverna 2.4.0 and 2.4.1 changes into trunk.

CLT is working apart from waiting for some SCUFL2 issues.

Great start to the workbench but waiting for decision about model to work against.

Problems with workbench not updating e.g. getting toolbar correct.

Decision: Will use correct OSGi mechanisms for updates rather than try to get current one to work

Action: Alan to pull Jira issues across by 2012-06-22

Action: Alan to push 2.4.1 into trunk by 2012-06-22

Action: David to make list of where currently up to by 2012-06-21

Code restructuring

Action: David to organize separate meeting by 2012-06-15 (that's the deadline for the organization not the meeting)

Migration path for plugin developers

Need migration guidelines for Taverna 2 -> 3 and also for 3 -> 3.1

Action: Stian to specify what needs to be written by 2012-06-21 (that's the high-level table of contents not the content)

How to do plugins and updates

Action: Alan to do quick review and make suggestions by 2012-06-22

Distribution and packaging

  1. creation
  2. tagging
  3. distribution

Distribution will be approximately the same as now. Forget about the problem for the moment,

Action: David and Alan to look at tools by 2012-06-22

Making data and provenance identifiable and (probably) accessible - alignment with wf4ever etc. models? Exposure or export?

Action: Stian to make proposal by 14th June 2012

How to deal with provenance / monitoring 

Currently still using the old broken mechanism. Generally agreed that it needs a complete rewrite. However, no time to do this for the beta.

Need to decide how to organize for server.

Action: Stian and Donal to make proposal by 2012-06-21

What the UI will be manipulating

Decision: SCUFL2 will be used via the API

Graphviz dependency.

Alternatives include Zest

Action: David to try later on

Structured objects - structured workflow run values (for Stian) e.g. tables, arrays and beans

A separate meeting will be held - now scheduled for 2012-06-15 at 1100 BST.

Coupling with myExperiment and BioCatalogue - do we keep the tight integration?

David noted that they are not tightly coupled at the moment e.g. cannot save back to myExperiment (from normal save) and have to switch to Service Catalogue perspective to do searches there.

Katy says that the myExperiment perspective is very useful. The functionality of the Service Catalogue would be better integrated into "normal" Taverna.

Alan stated that he had nearly got the saving back to myExperiment working but had not included it in 2.4 due to time constraints.

Action: Alan to revisit Jits's good work and make proposal, especially for service catalogue by 2012-06-21

Issue was raised of nested v referenced workflows. Need to support correctly and show difference in diagram.

Taverna 3 server - what is needed?

Action: Donal to specify list of choices for Taverna 3 Server architecture by 2012-06-21

Action; Stian to make proposal about provenance for Server by 2012-06-21

Alignment of notifications (Server, T3 engine, interactions), model of data

Action: Alan to make proposal by 2012-06-21

Problem of multiple run ids was raised. Katy noted that run nicknames (user assignable names for runs) would be very useful.

Issue of the run ids taking up space was raised.

What to do about the UI? Design perspective could stay approximately the same (at least for the alpha), Results perspective must change. Run dialog probably needs to change.

Decision: Keep look of results perspective but change underlying implementation

For any necessary changes we will "cross the bridge when we come to it"

How will component work affect this?

Action: Finn, Rob and Donal to discuss this when Rob comes back

How should Kymbat's usability review be taken account of?

Wait until it is delivered. Include as many quick wins as possible. Note that some of the issues may be more appropriate to Taverna Lite. Some Taverna-related issues may need to wait until after the beta.

Interaction service

Decision: Need to include in Taverna 3

Move to git

Will re-visit this subject after the code re-structuring

Look at data management

Decision: Needs extensive, necessary, work. Leave until after beta.

Service/component invocation

Action: Alan to spec out and agree with Katy by 2012-06-22

Annotation e.g. of example values

Action: Stian to make proposal by 2012-06-27

Actions Summary

Action: Alan to pull Jira issues across by 2012-06-22

Action: Alan to push 2.4.1 into trunk by 2012-06-22

Action: David to make list of where currently up to in OSGification by 2012-06-21

Action: David to organize separate code-restructuring meeting by 2012-06-15 (that's the deadline for the organization not the meeting)

Action: Stian to specify what needs to be written for plugin migration by 2012-06-21 (that's the high-level table of contents not the content)

Action: Alan to do quick review of how to do plugins and updates and make suggestions by 2012-06-22

Action: David and Alan to look at distribution, tagging etc. tools by 2012-06-22

Action: Stian to make data and provenance identification and access proposal by 2012-06-14

Action: Stian and Donal to make proposal on provenance and monitoring esp wrt the server by 2012-06-21

Action: David to try Zest later on

Action: Alan to revisit Jits's good work and make proposal fpr myExperimeny and service catalogue by 2012-06-21

Action: Donal to specify list of choices for Taverna 3 Server architecture by 2012-06-21

Action; Stian to make proposal about provenance for Server by 2012-06-21

Action: Alan to make proposal about notifications by 2012-06-21

Action: Finn, Rob and Donal to discuss components when Rob comes back

Action: Alan to spec out and agree service/component invocation with Katy by 2012-06-22

Action: Stian to make annotation proposal by 2012-06-27

Decisions Summary

Will use correct OSGi mechanisms for updates within Workbench e.g. noticing menu items, rather than try to get current one to work

The Workbench will use SCUFL2 as its model via the API

Keep look of results perspective but change underlying implementation

Interaction service will be included in Taverna 3

Data management needs extensive, necessary, work. Leave until after beta.

Labels
  • None