Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Meeting agenda/minutes

Please read the notes in the whiteboard photos when reading the minutes below

Agenda

1. Intro to how this will work (a few iterations to get this right)

2. Standup and make a mark - update white boards for e-Lab Active List topics - (feel free to change who does this amonst the relevant people) (doing this before 3 saves times as people trickle into the meeting and start putting up their updates)

3. All read what has been written (note down relevant questions)

4. Actions (all e-Lab relevant ones merged, reporting back from meetings derived from previous meta-meetings as actions is OK; please say it happened and the current working understanding - no elaborate details - as this would need another meeting)

5. Quick round table:

Dos

  • Particular success
  • Please state under which heading the update should be minuted
  • Blockers (needed to identify who you need to talk/meet to/with for resolution)
  • pertinent questions about what is written on the white board (please use judgement so topic is not too fine grained or too nebulous)
  • Any planned ad-hocs not already on the actions list

Don'ts

  • Just read what is written on the white board
  • Start discussion the solution (unless very simple) instead of the problem - as often the solution will need an ad-hoc discussion with relevent parties

6. Research (any relevant research - e-Lab or Taverna)

7. Outreach/Events/Funding - not limited to e-Lab Active List - standing items at all meta-meetings

8. Any Other Business (Technology demos now once a Month not after each meeting at some yet to be decided regular slot)

9. Minuting & Photography (of white board) for next time

Attending and minuting

  • Attending: Jits, carole, Shoaib, Khalid, Stuart, Matt, Alan, Alex, Ian, Donal, Christian, Stian, David
  • Minuting: Stian

Actions from previous meeting (10 mins)

  • Everyone: Give any VM requirements to Rob - ongoing

Whiteboard summaries

Notes from Katy

Sysmo
Had continental PALs meeting in Heidelberg - highlighted a few changes needed to the publishing work
Presented a sysmo JERM poster @ICSB
Preparing an article on Semantic Web for Systems Biology - deadline this week
Sysmo Report due at the end of Sept
JWS One stop in a nature proceedings article (Franco)

Outreach
Taverna tutorial in the NBIC course on Life Science Information Management (wk October 17)
Met with Ilkay Altintas (briefly) in Leiden - Kepler now working on cloud solutions and bioKepler. Ilkay will be back in a few months, so we are planning a follow-up meeting, maybe asking her to come to manchester as well

Unstructured notes

To be sorted by headers below

Jits:

Doodle-poll for component meeting this week. Wednesday 13:00 - will
send confirmation to myGrid list.

Get information from BioVEL kickoff.

Hand-over work for the remaning works. Wf4Ever handing over user stuff
to Kristina and ?. In development, someone like Stian or Piotr backing.

BioCatalogue, already in good process of handing over to Rob - will even
do a release.

Carole:

European FP 6 final panel for advanced works - considerable amount of work.

Should package up Skype chat log from BioVEL kick off.

Important things are sorting out all the job descriptions with Shoaib
and moving people around.

Advertising a position for an experienced myExperiment person, will
hopefully start this autumn.

SYSMO final report 28th of september.

Catching up on OpenPHACTS. Alister has started on this,
Christian joining in December. Someone from Steve Pettifer's team also
joining. Someone from AstroZenica.

Shoaib:

Meeting with Alex on timesheets. Proposing a myGrid EU leaders
(bi)weekly meeting, keeping track of deadlines for documents, timesheets
and deliverables.

Carole: Problem with detailed timesheets when on multiple projects.

Khalid:

research papers

wf4ever:

Matt: Graham Klyne is visiting 20th. Dave as well.

Alan: SAGE site - outstanding is the handover of code from Peter - change
it, finish it, abandon it? Workflow did not work because services was
down.

Carole: Putting the citation services into the workflow is useful
technique that we need to move on into Wf4Ever and BioVEL.

Ian: New methodbox server arrived - how to get it to the building! Who
deals with it from IT staff. Timescale on transitioning.

Carole: Remember term has started, IT staff will be busy next weeks

Dave: (question) . EPSRC meeting? SSI?

Carole: Need to coordinate training with Katy

Carole to Katy: BioVEL will bring in DAS server, metagenomics server.

Kepler-Taverna interoperability use-case

Katy: Talked to Ilkay last week. BioKepler project starting up.

Sending someone to GSC meeting. Jeff Griff. CAMERA 2.0 which Ilkay
works on. How to we use the camera portal to run TAverna wfs instead of
Kepler wfs - or together? Kepler wfs from Taverna?

Donal: Organizing a training session for heliophysicis on Taverna. Some
time later this year. Need key people to attend.

Ian: BioVel training in december.

Alan: IMPACT workshop, etc..

Donal: Not yet date settled.

Carole: Making a "training" calendar?

Katy: NowGEN training in January.

ACTION Stian: Create calendar for Training

myExperiment

BioCatalogue

Sysmo

David: Scape take up meeting is 2011-09-12 (today) and 2011-09-13.

Alex: How we'll disseminate the project findings. No-one from Manchester attending.

Carole: Is this take-up within digital library community, or dissemination, which is different. The first means adoption, which could have technology/software implications.

Alex: Something Sean would normally attend, but he's not available. Norman also on holiday.

David: Not heard about this meeting before

Alex: Meeting was announced only personal emails

David: What about Preservation hackathon?

Alex: Sent on wednesday. Announced on techie email list. Digital library community. Want technical people, but to build digital repository.

Carole: Recommend asking, don't assuming. Decission might impact on how software is used. Worried about EU approach of "This is not my work package, I don't need to do anything about it".

Building community, there as a trusted development partner.

In BioCatalogue/myExperiment, what the curators need affects the technical. Sounds like user engagement meeting.

Shoaib: Have to be careful about getting too involved with every aspect
of EU projects.

Alex: Face to face is much more valuable than skype chat.

SageCite

eLico

Methodbox

openPHACTS

Funding News

Research

Stian: Provenance wg -> export from Taverna

Events

Any other business

Minuting for the next meeting:

New Actions

  • Stian: Create calendar for Training
Labels
  • None