Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Meeting agenda/minutes

Please read the notes in the whiteboard photos when reading the minutes below

Agenda

1. Intro to how this will work (a few iterations to get this right)

2. Standup and make a mark - update white boards for e-Lab Active List topics - (feel free to change who does this amonst the relevant people) (doing this before 3 saves times as people trickle into the meeting and start putting up their updates)

3. All read what has been written (note down relevant questions)

4. Actions (all e-Lab relevant ones merged, reporting back from meetings derived from previous meta-meetings as actions is OK; please say it happened and the current working understanding - no elaborate details - as this would need another meeting)

5. Quick round table:

Dos

  • Particular success
  • Please state under which heading the update should be minuted
  • Blockers (needed to identify who you need to talk/meet to/with for resolution)
  • pertinent questions about what is written on the white board (please use judgement so topic is not too fine grained or too nebulous)
  • Any planned ad-hocs not already on the actions list

Don'ts

  • Just read what is written on the white board
  • Start discussion the solution (unless very simple) instead of the problem - as often the solution will need an ad-hoc discussion with relevent parties

6. Research (any relevant research - e-Lab or Taverna)

7. Outreach/Events/Funding - not limited to e-Lab Active List - standing items at all meta-meetings

8. Any Other Business (Technology demos now once a Month not after each meeting at some yet to be decided regular slot)

9. Minuting & Photography (of white board) for next time

Attending and minuting

  • Attending: Shoaib, Khalid, Finn, Stuart, Carole, Bamdat, Ian, David, DDR, Donal, Julie, Alan, Christian, Katy (online), Rob (online), Stian
  • Minuting: Stian

Actions from previous meeting (10 mins)

  • Shoaib (question): Cloud/taverna/sequencing/A4A + galaxy/taverna flyers needed - Not done
  • Katy (question): Check SysMo workflows on myExperiment and link to them from website - Not done
  • Shoaib: (2012-04-13) Send a email to ask everybody to book their time off (WF4ever plenary session is planned for the 4th and 5th of June) Not done
  • Shoaib: (2012-04-13) Contact direcly Yassine about Barcelona meeting Done - Donal and Yassine going.
  • Shoaib: (2012-04-13) Follow Pedro and Casey on MyGrid twitter account Partially done Following Casey, Don't know Pedro's account.
    NEW ACTION Rob (2012-04-27): Send Pedro Mendez Twitter details to Shoaib.
  • Alan and Rob: (question) try to fix the Virtual Box issue for Taverna 2.3; try something with IPv4. Not done - Rob wants to try again on latest VirtualBox release
  • Helen and Julie (question): send an abstract to BOSC 2012 (deadline 13/04/2012) Done NEW ACTION Julie (2012-04-27): Send BOSC abstract to myGrid list
  • Marco and Christina (question): send a synopsis of the talk about WF best practices to Shoaib for publication in SSI. Not done
  • Kostas (question): contact Alan about his work on interface and email instructions. Done
  • ? (question): contact Ulli and Bijan to concile their work on Semantic Web Services and the work from Dmitry on doing a RDF-based repository for Biocatalogue. Still unknown assignee
  • Alisdair (question): organize a research meeting to discuss about a paper strategy. Unknown (Alisdair not present)
  • Kim (question): discuss with Marco about Taverna usability. Not done? (Kim not present)

Whiteboard summaries

Katy Outreach

outreach: Newcastle running Taverna course in Bioinformatics Msc again
Taverna potentially being written in to Autism Sequencing Consortium proposal - Arthur Goldberg

Katy SysMo

prep for conference next week - attempted to persuade people to make data public, but not many have. Potential blocker, confusion over 'publisher' role. Might need to be properly explained in the talk?

Rob BioVel

Working with Alan all week on getting interactions working in the demonstrator web interface in prep. for the BioVeL workshop mid-may
no blockers that I can think of right now
also been working on the Java client libs for Server - I will hopefully send out a preview version to local myGrid people by end of today to get feedback and advice on the proposed API
next week I'll be hopefully working on Components - so long as things don't get in the way again (like this week :-/ )

Marco/Kostas

Kostas won the Application Showcase award! (party)
It was appreciated for being a real service to the community, solving something that people had been waiting for for long, and the quality of how it was built.
Eleni Mina (our workflowing PhD student) did a very nice presentation, and the nano-publication poster was runner up in the 'popular vote' poster competition (losing only to the prettiest girl at the conference)

New Actions

  • Shoaib (2011-10-10): Cloud/taverna/sequencing/A4A + galaxy/taverna flyers needed
  • Katy (2012-03-02): Check SysMo workflows on myExperiment and link to them from website
  • Shoaib: (2012-04-13) Send a email to ask everybody to book their time off (WF4ever plenary session is planned for the 4th and 5th of June)
  • Shoaib: (2012-04-13) Follow Casey on MyGrid twitter account
  • Alan and Rob: (2012-04-13) try to fix the Virtual Box issue for Taverna 2.3; try something with IPv4
  • Marco and Christina (2012-04-13): send a synopsis of the talk about WF best practices to Shoaib for publication in SSI.
  • ? (2012-04-13): contact Uli and Bijan to concile their work on Semantic Web Services and the work from Dmitry on doing a RDF-based repository for Biocatalogue.
  • Alisdair (2012-04-13): organize a research meeting to discuss about a paper strategy.
  • Kim (2012-04-13): discuss with Marco about Taverna usability.
  • Rob (2012-04-27): Send Pedro Mendez Twitter details to Shoaib.
  • Julie (2012-04-27): Send BOSC abstract to myGrid list
Labels
  • None