Please read the notes in the whiteboard photos when reading the minutes below
Attending and minuting
- Attending: Shoaib, Alan, Christian, Ian, Finn, Sean, Rob, Carole, Donal, Stuart, Ahmad, Pinar, Stian, Katy, Alex
- Minuting: Alex
Actions from previous meeting (10 mins)
Christian: (2012-08-17) Arrange a telecon with Gerhard to talk about their experience with Knime.(email sent, waiting for reply) - on-going
Stuart/Katy: (2013-01-18) to put on the RightField website how RightField is related to DataUp and OntoMaton - on-going
Everybody: (2013-01-18) Write up anything that might feed into future grants - on-going
Everybody: (2013-01-18) to identify people that we may need to chase (spin) for (or to be included in) new grants - on-going
Donal / Alasdair:(01/03/13) - to arrange a minimal eu timesheet requirements masterclass - on-going
Alasdair: (2013-04-12) Send an e-mail and book a room for the grant meeting - done
Stian: (2013-04-12) Arrange meeting to identify/stop overlapping on minimal information model checking - on-going
Donal: (2013-04-12) Send round information about the HELIO paper - done
Everybody: (2013-04-12) Check eScholar content on their university account - on-going
Ahmad: (2013-04-12) Use eScholar content to populate myGrid and Taverna website publication information - on-going
Finn: fixes myExperiment error messages and error codes
Katy: busy with ESBE
- Sean: SKOS paper finally accepted in JWS
- Rob: to finish curating software software, then we'll do a tweet
- Carole: booted 4 threads of funding (with Khalid; SySMO and BBR for synthetic biology - SYSMO UK; with Alastair for OpenPHACTS UK, with Norman Morrison on Meta Genomic Portal)
- Carole also working on Elixir, policy level stuff with Katy, going to the EPSRC expert panel for medicine, ...
- Donal: improving the performance of Taverna Server
- Stuart: working on the new version of SEEK for the paper, moving SEEK to a new server
- Khalid: Motif ontology for describing wfs is on-line, submitted paper with Pinar to Data On-line, overlaps with other ontologies, SWO/EDAM, Pinar might align it with SWO later on
- Ahmad: Taverna Web site has a few modified pages, a few new diagrams; Carole: there are 2 aspects to the Web site - the project/academic aspect, and the product aspect - currently neither are looking very well
- ESBE, Elixir and BioMedBridges - similar effort in building service/software catalogue
- SSI 6-months' Fellows meeting, sorting out contracts, next week going to Oxford for the software carpentry workshop
- Alan: fighting the Taverna code, in particular myExp perspective which mixes code with UI and is hard to use on the Server; working on the proposal for tech-track @ ISMB
- Ian: OpenPHACTS released the API for chemistry community
From people who have skyped-in:
[09:04:24 | Edited 09:08:12] Katy Wolstencroft: sysmo: bmc paper (almost) final version, iswc paper ongoing. Carole gathering support for uk SEEK BBR
[09:05:39] Katy Wolstencroft: ISBE: wp13 meeting and surveys meeting@schiphol yesterday - good progress. Surveys timetable established
[09:05:56 | Edited 09:06:10] Katy Wolstencroft: more wp meetings and steering committtee in the next few weeks
[09:07:21] Katy Wolstencroft: research: NAR paper proofs submitted
[09:19:58] Don Cruickshank: myExperiment: news feeds in: added ability to register an atom feed with groups, with option to add credentials
[09:20:07] David De Roure: fab Smiley
[09:20:31] Don Cruickshank: news feed out: added new activity feed to groups which incorperates the atom feed entries
[09:20:58] Don Cruickshank: the functionality is there - i'm in the tarting-up phase with it
[09:21:51] David De Roure: @Don/Stian - Kristina's paper has a URI to alpha - is it ok to put that in a paper? ie will it persist?
[09:22:20] Don Cruickshank: i discussed that briefly with kristina earlier this week
[09:22:47] Don Cruickshank: my thought was to just create a new private pack on www and use that URI. then create a redirect from that URI to alpha pack 405
[09:23:07] Don Cruickshank: so that when the RO-enabled myExp goes live, i can fiddle it into place
[09:23:32 | Edited 09:23:39] David De Roure: right, so the uri in the paper should be to a (proxy) www pack not an alpha pack(?)
[09:23:42] Don Cruickshank: yeah
[09:24:01] David De Roure: sounds like a plan - guess Kristina needs to be givena URL Smiley
[09:24:01] Don Cruickshank: it would seem a bit weird to have a non persistent URI to a pack in the paper when it's what we're saying we are good at!
[09:24:09] David De Roure: well, yes Smiley
[09:24:44] Stian Soiland-Reyes: @DDr - what we did earlier was to create purl.org redirection and put the purl in the paper
[09:24:54] David De Roure: also a good plan!
[09:25:49] David De Roure: nothing that can't be solved by indirection Smiley
[09:26:36] Don Cruickshank: i'm happy with either solution
[09:26:40 | Edited 09:30:53] Stian Soiland-Reyes: I'm joining as well by Skype.
Research: Drafting RO Bundle paper. RO/myExperiment paper with Kristina. PAV paper to be submitted early May.
myExperiment: -Proposing (Norwegian) student project: "Publications" tab. Integration with Pubmed, Arxiv, Orcid or similar. (Probably out of scope for students: Dropdown lists for adding references to packs/workflows).
-Fixing some scufl2/wfdesc issues for Finn
[09:27:04] Stian Soiland-Reyes: How to work from home and be child minder at the same time: Just turn on some cool funk radio station
[09:27:12] Donal Fellows: The only problems that can't be solved by adding more indirection are the problems caused by too many layers of indirection. Winking
[09:27:19] Stian Soiland-Reyes: keep anti dizziness tablets ready
[09:29:22] Marco Roos: FYI:
1. Kristina and I will work on Kristina's paper, addressing Carole's points. Today is Kristina's deadline. NB it is for for a SWAT4LS special issue of Journal of BioMedical Semantics
2. I hope to see input from Katy and Jun today on the ISMB tech track proposal. I suggest to centre that around ResearchObject.org and Nanopub.org.
3. Speaker list of ISMB workshop on digital publishing should be finalized today.
[09:31:46] Marco Roos: I have been lobbying for t2web and t2galaxy at NBIC. These were NBIC activities, but NBIC will end this year. Lot of sympathy, but no concrete 'new champions' yet. Question: can we make these part of the plan for a foundation for Taverna?
[09:32:16] Marco Roos: I'll see that later. Now I'm off reading through Kristina's manuscript...
[09:32:29] Aleksandra Pawlik: Hello, I'm joining via Skype. Updates: started putting things together for "Spreadsheets in Science" Workshop which Carole wants organise end of this year, beginning of next. I'm also working on SSI Fellows meeting (in June). And preparing for a meeting with Bioinformatics&Telemedicine Group in Krakow (in mid May.)
[09:36:24] pinar.alper: I am also joining by voice. Update: working on applicability of summarization to workflows from other systems. Working on paper describing summarization.
[09:36:58 | Edited 09:42:08] David De Roure: @coolfunkystian good to see your project to easily add pubs into myExp... I'm v interested in making it easy for myExp content to fit into the scholarly ecosystem. For example, I tried adding a pack and a blog post of mine and (experimentally) a Paul Fisher workflow to Heather Piwowar's impactstory.org to see how they fare in the (alt)metrics world. The blog post is picked up by the metrics but not the myExp content - http://impactstory.org/collection/hihicd (scroll to bottom!)
[09:37:44] David De Roure: Advice from Jason Hoyt and others is for myExp to use EZID (as does figshare)
[09:40:16] David De Roure: One of the reasons for my interest is I'm giving a keynote at JCDL on scholarly social machines so am doing my homework! Smiley
[09:42:27] Stuart Owen: We have a publications tab in SysMO that works using pubmed and doi's, and we want to add in EZID for Doi's - so we shoudl definately talk about this Stian Smiley
[09:43:07] Stian Soiland-Reyes: my oh my, the radio station played the cool song again! "Hoping I dont get fired now" said the DJ
[10:20:54] Christian: photos https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mcqsqmro6dsgvrt/5gjsZm66cP
[10:21:55] pinar.alper: thanks Christian
[10:28:24] pinar.alper: congratulations Carole
[10:52:41] Aleksandra Pawlik: May be relevant "The h-Index: What is it, How do we Determine it, and How Can we Keep Up
with it?"- http://nfgwin.uni-duesseldorf.de/sites/default/files/Ireland.pdf
Christian: (2012-08-17) Arrange a telecon with Gerhard to talk about their experience with Knime.(email sent, waiting for reply)
Stuart/Katy: (2013-01-18) to put on the RightField website how RightField is related to DataUp and OntoMaton
Everybody: (2013-01-18) Write up anything that might feed into future grants
Everybody: (2013-01-18) to identify people that we may need to chase (spin) for (or to be included in) new grants
Donal / Alasdair:(01/03/13) - to arrange a minimal eu timesheet requirements masterclass
Stian: (2013-04-12) Arrange meeting to identify/stop overlapping on minimal information model checking
Everybody: (2013-04-12) Check eScholar content on their university account
Ahmad: (2013-04-12) Use eScholar content to populate myGrid and Taverna website publication information
Ian: to have a look at using OpenPHACTS chemistry stuff as components plugin for Taverna