Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Meeting agenda/minutes

Please read the notes in the whiteboard photos when reading the minutes below

Agenda

1. Intro to how this will work (a few iterations to get this right)

2. Standup and make a mark - update white boards for e-Lab Active List topics - (feel free to change who does this amonst the relevant people) (doing this before 3 saves times as people trickle into the meeting and start putting up their updates)

3. All read what has been written (note down relevant questions)

4. Actions (all e-Lab relevant ones merged, reporting back from meetings derived from previous meta-meetings as actions is OK; please say it happened and the current working understanding - no elaborate details - as this would need another meeting)

5. Quick round table:

Dos

  • Particular success
  • Please state under which heading the update should be minuted
  • Blockers (needed to identify who you need to talk/meet to/with for resolution)
  • pertinent questions about what is written on the white board (please use judgement so topic is not too fine grained or too nebulous)
  • Any planned ad-hocs not already on the actions list

Don'ts

  • Just read what is written on the white board
  • Start discussion the solution (unless very simple) instead of the problem - as often the solution will need an ad-hoc discussion with relevent parties

6. Research (any relevant research - e-Lab or Taverna)

7. Outreach/Events/Funding - not limited to e-Lab Active List - standing items at all meta-meetings

8. Any Other Business (Technology demos now once a Month not after each meeting at some yet to be decided regular slot)

9. Minuting & Photography (of white board) for next time

Attending and minuting

  • Attending: Carole, Christian, Hyde, Alan, Donal, Niall, Stuart, Norman, Natalie
  • Attending Online: Alisdair, Pinar, Aleksandra, Shoaib
  • Minuting: Norman
  • Chair: Stuart

Actions arising from this meeting

Aleksandra: (2013-09-13) - follow up on API design with SSI Edinburgh group

Ahmad: (21/06/2013) — push eScholar info to public websites - Ongoing > related action Ahmed: (2013-09-13) - to put website problem into words.

Stian: (02/08/2013?) — to talk to Katy and SHIWA regarding data bundles and remote enactment. > related action Stian: (2013-09-13) contact Katy to follow up on this action

Actions from previous meeting (10 mins)

Stuart/Katy: (2013-01-18) — put on the RightField website how RightField is related to DataUp and OntoMaton — Ongoing
Donal: (01/03/13) — to arrange a minimal eu timesheet requirements masterclass — Ongoing
Everybody: (2013-04-12) — Check eScholar content on their university account and make sure they are marked as "open" — Ongoing
Shoaib & Aleksandra: (2013-06-07) — Create a blog article about the advantages of upgrading to Rails 3 — Ongoing

Whiteboard summaries

Rightfield

Creating standalone website

BioCatalogue

myExperiment

Skinning

Content issues for BioVeL

BioVel

BIH2013

iEOS2013

Financial Reporting

End of year report

Ready to fill in seed data for BioVeL - SEEK

Need to fix the portal!

Ocean Sampling Day

Sysmo

Updating and migrating website

Released rails 3 version

Added ORCID support

New ISA Graph view

PALS meeting Thu & Fri next week

eLico

SSI

Webinar

RSE Workshop

Dig Research

Carly Strasser

Methodbox

openPHACTS

Added methods to expose void

Cleaning up IMS to merge into BridgeDB

Explorer 1.3 ready for deployment for testing

Funding News

SEEK UK bid 26th September

SEEK EuroSysApp mid Oct

Extension approved

Research

Reboot

Events

Any other business

KBase

Minuting for the next meeting:

New Actions

Skype Interactions

[13/09/2013 11:19:59] Christian: 09:30:07 | Edited 09:30:26] Alasdair Gray: Updates:
* Released latest version of OPS dataset description guidelines 
  (http://www.openphacts.org/specs/datadesc/)
** Created BridgeDb vocabulary for capturing linkset context
* Resumed W3C HCLS activity around dataset descriptions; aiming for completion by the end of the year
* Submitted Internet Computing Linked Data department article on the need for dataset descriptions
* Submitted article on OPS API with Paul Groth to HCLS special issue of Journal of Web Semantics
* Drafting SWAT4LS article on the computation of co-reference in the IMS
* Discussing with Hugh Glaser about the inclusion of OPS linksets in sameas.org
[09:54:45] Aleksandra  Pawlik: Hello, I'll be joining by voice
[10:01:13] Aleksandra  Pawlik: * SSI Fellowship 2014 webinar yesterday went well
[10:01:51] Aleksandra  Pawlik: * Research Software Engineer workshop in Oxford on 11th Sept - very interesting; lots of outcomes and follow ups
[10:02:58] Aleksandra  Pawlik: * Digital Research 9-10 Sept Oxford - data, data, data (and provenance as well)
[10:03:30] Aleksandra  Pawlik: * In touch with Carly Strasser about Spreadsheet in Science workshop
[10:03:48] Aleksandra  Pawlik: * 17th September UK Polar Research Network - workshop on software
[13/09/2013 11:20:48] Christian: Sean email
[13/09/2013 11:20:49] Christian: My apologies for myGrid meeting this morning -- I'm sick in bed . And I haven't even been exposed to the new germ-laden students yet.
A couple of RO/Reearch related items to report
1/ I had some discussions with Catherine Jones and Brian Matthews at STFC about ROs. They are proposing the notion of Investigation ROs to support their SCAPE Research Test Bed. I've been trying to steer them towards using the W4fever tools and models, in particular it looks like they have questions of validation that would fit with checklists.
2/ Setting up discussions with Herbert van der Sompel and Rob Sanderson at LANL on possible projects on ROs for digital scholarship.
[13/09/2013 11:21:15] Christian: Shoaib
[13/09/2013 11:21:16] Christian: SCAPE:
HY6 WP7 report in
HY6 (Q9 and Q10) effort numbers in
todo: HY6 partner report - should be in today, HY6 finance report -
numbers with finance and should be in the right form and passed to
SCAPE office today
SSI:
Successful Webinar event held yesterday - slides and webinar video
should be up by Monday, SSI Advisory board meeting prep - Advisory
board on 17th Sept
There will be a Matlab focused SWC course in January 2014 - organised
by Michael Croucher - interestingly Greg Wilson himself (founder of
SWC) might attend.
AOB:
Andy Brass came to see me about a possible funding proposal that he
wants myGrid to be part of - this involved FLS and MIB and was around
the systems biology and metagenomics of gut bacteria and the effect on
the body - he was looking for us to have a new BioInformatician for 3
years working on using our tools to support the scientific discovery
process - has to be written and handed in by Sept 30th - with the
grant starting in January if successful. He was keen to catch up with
Norman Morrison to talk about this. Is there anyone else he should
talk to ? (that's a question I had as oppose to one he asked about)
[13/09/2013 11:19:59] Christian: 09:30:07 | Edited 09:30:26] Alasdair Gray: Updates:

* Released latest version of OPS dataset description guidelines 

*  (http://www.openphacts.org/specs/datadesc/)*

** Created BridgeDb vocabulary for capturing linkset context

* Resumed W3C HCLS activity around dataset descriptions; aiming for completion by the end of the year

* Submitted Internet Computing Linked Data department article on the need for dataset descriptions

* Submitted article on OPS API with Paul Groth to HCLS special issue of Journal of Web Semantics

* Drafting SWAT4LS article on the computation of co-reference in the IMS

* Discussing with Hugh Glaser about the inclusion of OPS linksets in sameas.org

[09:54:45] Aleksandra  Pawlik: Hello, I'll be joining by voice

[10:01:13] Aleksandra  Pawlik: * SSI Fellowship 2014 webinar yesterday went well

[10:01:51] Aleksandra  Pawlik: * Research Software Engineer workshop in Oxford on 11th Sept - very interesting; lots of outcomes and follow ups

[10:02:58] Aleksandra  Pawlik: * Digital Research 9-10 Sept Oxford - data, data, data (and provenance as well)

[10:03:30] Aleksandra  Pawlik: * In touch with Carly Strasser about Spreadsheet in Science workshop

[10:03:48] Aleksandra  Pawlik: * 17th September UK Polar Research Network - workshop on software

[13/09/2013 11:20:48] Christian: Sean email

[13/09/2013 11:20:49] Christian: My apologies for myGrid meeting this morning -- I'm sick in bed . And I haven't even been exposed to the new germ-laden students yet.

A couple of RO/Reearch related items to report

1/ I had some discussions with Catherine Jones and Brian Matthews at STFC about ROs. They are proposing the notion of Investigation ROs to support their SCAPE Research Test Bed. I've been trying to steer them towards using the W4fever tools and models, in particular it looks like they have questions of validation that would fit with checklists.

2/ Setting up discussions with Herbert van der Sompel and Rob Sanderson at LANL on possible projects on ROs for digital scholarship.

[13/09/2013 11:21:15] Christian: Shoaib

[13/09/2013 11:21:16] Christian: SCAPE:

HY6 WP7 report in

HY6 (Q9 and Q10) effort numbers in

todo: HY6 partner report - should be in today, HY6 finance report -

numbers with finance and should be in the right form and passed to

SCAPE office today

SSI:

Successful Webinar event held yesterday - slides and webinar video

should be up by Monday, SSI Advisory board meeting prep - Advisory

board on 17th Sept

There will be a Matlab focused SWC course in January 2014 - organised

by Michael Croucher - interestingly Greg Wilson himself (founder of

SWC) might attend.

AOB:

Andy Brass came to see me about a possible funding proposal that he

wants myGrid to be part of - this involved FLS and MIB and was around

the systems biology and metagenomics of gut bacteria and the effect on

the body - he was looking for us to have a new BioInformatician for 3

years working on using our tools to support the scientific discovery

process - has to be written and handed in by Sept 30th - with the

grant starting in January if successful. He was keen to catch up with

Norman Morrison to talk about this. Is there anyone else he should

talk to ? (that's a question I had as oppose to one he asked about)

Labels
  • None