The HTTP proxy preferences controls how Taverna Workbench connects to URLs (addresses) on the web.
Your system administrator or IT department can tell you if you need to specify a HTTP proxy; you can obtain the necessary settings from them. One common reason will be that Taverna Workbench is running behind a 'firewall'. If Taverna Workbench does not show any Biomart, Biomoby, Soaplab or WSDL services in the Services Panel then this is a sign that your HTTP proxy needs to be set.
These preferences can be changed by:
- In Taverna, select Preferences from the Taverna or File menu.
- Select HTTP proxy from the Preferences pop up window.
- Change the preferences as shown below.
- Click Apply.
- Close the Preferences pop up window.
There are three options:
- Do not use a proxy - this causes Taverna to ignore any system settings and to connect to URLs directly
- Use system properties - use the settings that were specified to the Java virtual machine when Taverna was started.
- Use specified values - use the values that you can enter or edit in the fields within the panel
Use system properties is the default option and is usually correct.
The panel lists the five values that can be altered for the HTTP proxy settings.
You are only able to edit the HTTP proxy values if you select the Use specified values option.
- Proxy host - specifies the address of the machine via which your connections will be made. It can either be a numeric address e.g. 18.104.22.168 or an ordinary URL such as www.somewhere.com
- Proxy port - the number of the port on the Proxy host to which you make connection
- Proxy user and Proxy password - if you need to authenticate (log in) to the Proxy host then specify the username and password here. These fields can be left blank.
- Non-proxy hosts - A list of machine addresses for which the proxy settings will not be used. This is normally the list of machines on 'your side' of the firewall. The list is separated by '|' or newlines.
If you click Help then you will obtain help on this dialog. Reset resets the values to the last applied values. Apply takes the shown values and applies them to Taverna.
It is a good idea to restart Taverna once you have altered these settings as some existing connections may become unpredictable.